I have over 15 years of experience developing software and prototyping hardware. From creating award-nominated artworks about social issues, to fun installations used in live radio broadcasts through to large-scale web apps used by millions of people.
What I’m like to work with
I believe that the best work happens in multidisciplinary teams, working openly, collaboratively and respectfully to solve interesting problems.
I like to explore problem domains but also like shipping things for people to use so I talk to people on the team to identify the scope of work and the dependencies between not only developers but designers and others on the team.
I prefer projects that last for a few weeks to a few months, working either full or part-time.
People who’ve worked with me in the past have said they enjoyed it and found my contributions valuable.
What I can do for you
- Build web sites, apps and installations.
- Contribute to the design of UI components and interactions
- Create prototypes at various fidelities, from rough things for internal stakeholders to polished public prototypes to gather audience feedback
- Write tested, production code
- Help to prioritise and scope work to meet a deadline
- Lead ideas generation and Design Sprint workshops to figure out what to build
Over the past few years, I've been using React and similar frameworks like Preact on the web as they encourage modular development, have a broad ecosystem of libraries and enable rapid iteration and prototyping.
I have a lot of experience connecting buttons, lights and sensors to the Raspberry Pi to form part of installations that have been exhibited on the UK's biggest radio station and in the London Design Museum.
My costs depends on the type of project and skills involved. I work with you to figure out the scope of the work and can either charge a day rate or fixed project-price depending on the type of project.
I'm currently available from June 2022, so please get in touch as I'm always keen to talk about new projects.